Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Materials & Methods

This is supposed to be the easiest section to write in any scientific report. I too believed in that till date and to keep up my tradition of starting any report with the m&m section which ignites me and slowly provides the acceleration towards writing the other sections.....I began my thesis report with this...and as prof asked me to give one section at a time for correction and not the bizarre report with all the unorganized and incomplete haphazard stories...I decided to give him m&m section first :D:D:D.

As I was proceeding with the normal way of describing the techniques performed and listed the materials used in each technique...I suddenly remembered oh noo this is not a lab report it is a PhD thesis (a BIG one %&$%§%) and so again I went through a brainstorm and came up with an idea to first list out all the different kind of experiments performed and then list out the methods used and the chemicals used....a bit convinced with this started writing again according to the experiments performed....but...there are some small steps performed before the experiments and in between the experiments and what about those??...Hmmm No this is not the way....why dont I make a flowchart?...ya will try this so right from the beginning of the work I made a flowchart with what I have done going through the pages of my daily lab notebook (I am proud and thank god I wasn´t lazy and wrote that very well...without that life would have been hell by now)...for each branch of the flowchart I listed out the biggest to the smallest consumables used in the lab....was able to fill it up quite convincingly.....

Now started putting it into words and again something banged in my head.....references!!!...ya every single consumable needs its identity...from which company its bought and from which country...have these details for all the extensively used kits and instruments but thats not enough....(its a pHD thesis BANG!!!!) made a big list of materials for which I dont have the reference.....went into the lab and thanks to our very nice technical assistant....I could fill a lot with his help...he knows all the companies...the details are on his finger tips :D:D:D....then comes a vast list of bioinformatic stuff used...softwares, databases, protocols, online applications etc etc....an extensive browsing of biotech, chemical and bioinformatic companies....making notes

I looked down on my desk at the rough work and the notes....I felt giddy....there is so much of material...now comes the biggest task of putting it together and in a meaningful way.....hope I can finish atleast a crude version by friday..thats the day I need to hand over it to prof for corrections...

MATERIALS AND METHODS is truly an important, not easy, tedious and tiresome section..no kidding...seriously I still feel that I am missing lot of stuff....will know that only when I start keeping all this in words...huuuuhhhh uuuuuffff!!!!

I love these camera mobiles...take a picture of what ever and whenever you want :D:D....Had a coffee for relaxing with this beautiful song from Libaas (heard these for the first time y´day)

"Jitane Bhii Tay Karate Gaye
Ba.Dhate Gaye Ye Faasale
Milo.N Se Din Chho.D Aaye
Saalo.N Se Raat Leke Chale
Sili Havaa Chhu Gai......

"Dil ki baat na poochho, dil to aata rahega
Dil bahekaata raha hai, dil bahekaata rahega
Dil ko tumne, oh, kuch samjhaaya hota
Khaamosh sa afsaana paani se likha hota
Na tumne kaha hota, na humne suna hota
Khaamosh sa afsaana...............

Lyrics courtesy: www.musicindiaonline.com

No comments: